DCC’s vision is to become one of the top 10 clubs nationally and top 3 clubs in the SW region judged on growing participation, competitive excellence and a varied development and activity programme that includes all age groups, genders and ability levels.
Measures of success
Growing participation against our 2019 baseline:
- Annual club footfall
- Annual club membership
- Member retention
- Numbers participating in sprint, marathon and other endurance events
- Within top ten clubs nationally at SRC National Sprint Regatta
- Top three marathon and sprint club in SW Region
A varied activity and development programme:
- Numbers participating in club development in all age and ability groups
- Year on year measure of paddler improvement
- Number of new novice paddlers introduced to the sport
- Number of paddlers trained through school/youth partnerships
Club Strategy 2021 – 2025
Ambition 1. Promote and provide facilities for sport and recreational canoeing for the Devizes community
- Maximise utilisation of our facilities, balancing member needs with that of the wider community.
- Build on links with local state schools, prioritising Devizes, Market Lavington and Silverwood (Rowdeford Campus) schools serving our community area.
- Seek opportunities to expand and develop on-site and off-site facilities.
Ambition 2. Develop coaches, volunteers and leaders
- Develop additional coaching and volunteer capacity to expand our offer to members and the wider community
- Expand and develop our pool of volunteers,
- Develop the skills of our existing coaching team
- Identify and develop the next generation of club coaches
Ambition 3. Provide healthy competitive and recreational opportunities for all abilities and age groups
- Develop our junior and adult programme to widen the range of activities we can offer.
- Strengthen our programme to increase the number and quality of talented paddlers representing the club and achieving GB potential.
- Play a more active role in member lifestyle (and performance) with other activities including ergo training, general conditioning and advice about health, lifestyle, nutrition etc.
Ambition 4: Increase competitive excellence in the two flat water disciplines
- Improve representation at regional and national sprint and/or marathon events
- Provide a consistent flow of athletes to BC talent pathways.
- Forge strong connections with a network of like-minded local clubs
- Make our voice heard on regional and national discipline committees.
- Provide a range of competitions in regional, SRC and MRC calendars building on our successful pilot events in 2019.
Ambition 5: Increase participation and engagement
- Increase participation by existing members.
- Ensure our facilities are accessible when members want to use them.
- Develop and use effective ways to engage and communicate with club members, former and prospective club members in our community.
Ambition 6: Attract new paddlers to the sport of canoeing
- Run regular participation events for young people (schools events, holiday course, try-a-paddle and intro courses).
- Showcase our club offer in the community to attract new members including adults returning to sport.
Ambition 7: Achieve ‘top tier’ club status for a medium-sized club
- Achieve BC Quality Club standard by end Q1 2022.
- Offer the highest standards of safety for all members and supporters.
- Provide exemplary welfare and safeguarding standards for young people and vulnerable adults.
- Achieve Talent Club Associate status by the next selection cycle (end 2023).
- Maximise other forms of income (grants, summer camps, regattas, paid-for school programmes and sponsorship).